Skip to main content

Stay-cation two: ORIGAMI OR WILL I?

I decided to see what the library might have on Origami.(You'll need to be on campus or using VPN to follow the links) I thought everyone has paper, right? So, in looking for some inspiration for a simple project I typed Origami in several of our databases. To my surprise, origami was used in several different applications in dealing with information on the universe, electronics, math, health etc. Because origami is in fact mathematical folding it can be used to provide visuals for all sorts of ideas and projects.


Looking for a project to share I used “Academic Search Premier” and found: “How to Fold It: The Mathematics of Linkages, Origami, and Polyhedra” Author: O'Rourke, Joseph. There is a PDF of the book so the material can be viewed online or downloaded.


 As I had not done a lot of origami, I decided that I would go for a simple shape and see How it would go. As it turned out, there were not any simple shapes I could try.

However, I am including this as there may be more adventurous people out there.

So, I continued to look, I found a short article on making origami Tulips “A Bouquet of Tulips” By: Ratcliffe, Charmaine. U.S. Kids. Apr/May2001, Vol. 14 Issue 3, p20 and thought I would try that.

I didn’t have construction paper but did have several different notepaper packs and decided to see what I could use. If the shape was the same size, what could go wrong, right? I couldn’t find a ruler, so I used my 2 ½ in square for quilting. I figured I could use it to get my 4” squares. I made my template so I could make more. I folded my square in half, then folded the edges to the center. What I did not realize is that you must unfold it then fold it.


So on to try two. I used the edge of my of my quilting square to crease the edges, or you can use your fingernail. Then fold the other side the same way as the first. Unfold.




Cut out the four corners. Cut down the center of the remaining squares to the first fold. Slide one square left to cover the square next to it. You can tape or glue. I glued, so I had to wait for the glue to dry.



I did not have pipe cleaners either, which the instructions said to use for the stem. Instead I glued a couple of the extra squares I had cut off the original square to a toothpick. Let that dry then put a small hole in the bottom of my tulip and pulled the end through. A dab of clue will help the stem stay in place.




Small leaves can be created and glued or taped to the stem. Done!


 

This shows that even if you do not have the exact materials needed your can still create a fun project with what you have. Just think outside the box.

By Renee Ponzio

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

March 2023

    Devereaux Online March 2023 What's happening @your library Go to this Sway Devereaux Online March 2023