Skip to main content

Atlas – part 2 when the power goes out



Lois Zens “I have oil lamps, had them for years, for when the power goes out summer or winter. I found out you really cannot read by them, they are too dim. You can get around in the dark and see what's going on, but you cannot read. I had seen someone gift someone else LED lanterns and at the time thought they were a great idea then forgot about them. I remembered them Friday night and am going to look for them when we can get around again. They are bright and would really serve a purpose.  They would be great to have next time....and there will be a next time.
  Also I will make sure I have batteries for my radio. I listened to KOTA AM radio for updates and stories during the storm. I was alone and that was my company.  My daughter has a gas furnace so I assumed she and her family were warm. They have an electronic ignition on the furnace and therefore when the electricity went out so did their heat, for 24 hours. I do not have a fix for that.  They cooked on the grill and bundled up.”

It is amazing how dark it gets when the power is out, and how long the night lasts isn’t it?  I also heard from people who burned candles, used camping lanterns, and who just went to bed because they were cold and dark. At our house, I’ve avoided oil lamps and candles because I worry that they are fire hazards.  The last thing I need is something my dogs could knock over to burn the house down.  So what about these LED lanterns Lois mentions? Well there are dozens of options on the market; the one we picked up has a light that’s quite adequate for reading, cooking or cross stitching. While I was researching lanterns, I stumbled on many other items that the storm bound might find useful.   See:
Also the lanterns come in solar powered, I don’t know how well they work, but it might be worth looking into.

And of course when your power is out, your water is probably going to be cold as is your food.  It’s probably worth investing in some baby wipes and maybe one of those little pots that can heat water with DC power. Something like a: Smart car pot or slow cooker or beverage heater or even a portable stove.  Use of these items implies you have plenty of gas in your car so you can keep your battery charged up and that you can safely get to your car and run it without fear of carbon dioxide fumes.  After Atlas I’m even thinking about a battery based generator.  They are quiet and can be operated inside the house with no fear of noxious fumes. Maybe an Xpower Powerpack 1500 “a portable system on wheels that can supply up to 1,500 watts of continuous AC power. The product is capable of producing AC household power from a battery source to run TVs, power tools, computers, stereos, lights and home appliances. The Powerpack, unlike a fuel-operated generator, is quiet, creates no exhaust or fumes, has no moving parts and requires no maintenance other than occasional recharging. It incorporates a 12-volt battery pack and an inverter to produce AC power. “(Power headaches? take a xantrex. (2002). Channel Business, 15(13), 33. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview/275070241?accountid=44996 ) or a similar system: CSA Mr. Emergency 1500 Watt  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

March 2023

    Devereaux Online March 2023 What's happening @your library Go to this Sway Devereaux Online March 2023